I have recently installed and configured Search Server 2010 Express
on my VMware machine for evaluation purposes. Once I configured basic
steps to configure Search Centre site and necessary settings, I decided
to install PDF iFilter (x64). Last year, I posted similar article on how
to install and configure PDF iFilter for SharePoint 2007 (64bit), which
can be found at: http://www.mossgurus.com/adnan/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=9.
I didn't find any single decent article on Google, which clearly
explain the process of installing and configuring PDF iFilter for
SharePoint Server 2010 or Search Server 2010 Express edition. So I
decided to follow my own article and I was hoping that it should be
straight forward to install and configure PDF iFilter for SharePoint
2010. Apart from updating the registry settings required to update GUID
for .pdf, remaining steps are similar.
Follow steps below to install and configure PDF iFilter on SharePoint
Server 2010 or Search Server Express 2010.
- Install PDF iFilter 9.0 (64 bit) from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025
- Download PDF icon file from pdf16.gif
and copy at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
- Add the following entry in docIcon.xml file, which can be found at:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
<Mapping Key="pdf" Value="pdf16.gif" />
- Add pdf file type on the Manage File Type page under Search Service
- Open registry by executing regedit on the Start
- Navigate to the following location:
- Right-click Extension, a menu will appear.
- Click New--> Key to create a new key for .pdf.
See screen shot below.
Click here to visit the original link.